Sharepoint Environment Assessment Questionnaire
The questionnaire is designed to assess the existing Sharepoint environment for Support transition and to collect key Information to propose the right support model for the transition
- What is the primary business objective of the Sharepoint environment? (What needs of your business are met by the existing system – Communication, Collaboration, Knowledge Management, Enterprise Content Management, Document Management, Dashboards, Complete Intranet Solution, Extranet for suppliers, customers etc?)
- Please share the status of all ongoing and planned activities for Sharepoint (Development, migration and upgrade)?
- Please enlist the sites that are most critical to business?
- What is the level of custom development on current Sharepoint environment? Please provide documentation.
- Is there any custom development done by any other 3rd Party vendor? Do you have the source code, business requirements, design document, installation guidelines, and test cases for the changes?
- Please provide us with the following statistics
- Total users for each Sharepoint Site on Production (Top level)
- Number of Top level sites
- What is the size of Content DB?
- What is the peak site usage in last one month?
- Please share the Backup and Recovery Process?
- Please provide details or preferably Physical and Logical Architecture Diagrams for Production, Staging and Development Environment
(Farm Topology, deployment diagrams, Virtual environment, Sharepoint version details, Directory Services)
- Please enlist all Integration points (Interfaces) with LOB and other applications/ Software (Ex: imaging solution)
- Please give a brief about all Web Applications and SSPs in scope.
- Please provide the list of all 3rd party software (BPM, Search, Analytics, and BI – integrated to Sharepoint) installed?
- Is any sort of load balancing done for the intranet?
- Is there any mirroring done on Sharepoint DBs?
- Please share the brief about the most critical sites (in scope) on existing environment?
- Please share the Site map.
5. Content management
- Please enlist the main kind of content (Text content, Documents, Images, flash, Audios, Videos, other formats)
- Is there any other Content Management or Document management tool in place along with Sharepoint?
- Are there any secured sites? (Using SSL, encryption)
- What is the current Authentication mechanism? (Windows Authentication, Forms based Authentication or Kerberos, AD, LDAP )
- Who is supporting the existing environment? Please provide existing SLA and priorities for incident management.
- Please give a brief about team structure for Support (OS, Hardware, SQL server, Security, Exchange server, Sharepoint)
- Do you have a distributed development team across multiple locations/geographies? Please provide details.
- Do you have a distributed team of site owners?
- What is the Support Type (L1, L2 or L3) expected?
- Please provide the call flow process. Find below a sample process flow.
Call Flow Process / Diagram
- Who is expected to make calls to Microsoft for support?
- Is it expected to interact with end users for Support?
- What are the support hours (time zones) and SLAs expected? What support coverage are you looking? (24*7, 16*5, or 8*5 ..)
The below calendar defines the times that the SLA clock starts and stops (excluding P 0): –
|Day||Start hours(EST)||End hours(EST)|
- Do you have any system in place for Incident Management that is expected to use? If yes, please give details.
- Please explain the Incident classification criteria. Find below the sample classification
|Definition||Response Time from time of Incident Log||Fix Time from time of Incident Log|
|P0||Impact on All Users /Risk to Business Continuity||10 mins||Stay with it|
|P1||Impact on All Users /Secondary system down|
|P2||Impact on Site or Dept / Significant problem preventing satisfactory operation|
|P3||Impact on single User|
|P4||Service Request/Advice required|
- What is the mode of communication for Support (Email only, Incident management, Phone, Pager)?
- What is the scope of proposed SLA? Please select one of the following.
- Large enhancement including custom development (20 person days or more)
- small enhancement in existing code ( Less than 20 person days)
- Trouble shooting existing development
- Admin support
- Please share the SLAs/ OLAs with existing vendors for 3rd party software, Infrastructure, Exchange Server, Security, SQL Server, OS and hardware.
- It is assumed that content and configuration DB of all Sharepoint sites are in scope for support. Please confirm?
- Please confirm if following is out of scope for Sharepoint Support
- OS level support like Server Performance Management, Memory Management, Disk Space and SQL Server Uptime.
- Installation, Implementation, Deployment of any Software
- Design, Development, Implementation or any issue on Development and Test servers.
- Evaluation of any Software, Tool and Processes and Results
- Design, Development and Implementation of Proof of Concepts
- Development and Enhancements of 3rd Party Products
- Environment Management / Infrastructure Support
- Platform Troubleshooting
- Application Migration & Upgrades
- Optimizing search for website or any other design changes to website
- Are there any development or migration projects that are currently in progress? What support is given to these projects by existing (Portal, or Sharepoint) support teams?
- Is there any repository for knowledge documents, Incident Logs, RCA (Root cause Analysis)?
- Please provide us with the following Support statistics (priority wise)
- Total calls logged for Sharepoint in last 1 month, 3 month and 6 months.
- How many Priority 1 calls were logged in last 1 month, 3 month and 6 months?
- Details about past SLA adherence,
- Summary of support tickets with case open age
- Are there any alerting/ reporting requirements?
(Daily Checklist, weekly report, performance monitoring report etc)
- What are the Configuration management process/ guidelines?
Configuration management is a critical process responsible for identifying, controlling, and tracking all versions of hardware, software, documentation, processes and procedures of the information technology (IT) organization.
- Processes and Documentation
- What is Change Management process?
Change Management is responsible for ensuring logging and control of all changes to managed components and, where appropriate, rejecting changes which do not meet standards at verification and changes that are deemed impractical following assessment.
Companies generally have a change management window when they allow the change requests to be deployed during a “Change Window” ensuring least impact on end users.
- Are there user training requirements for educating the users about the sites. Need for webinars, training material, FAQs etc to facilitate the rollout and ongoing changes to the sites